The “biggest night in fashion”, the yearly Met Gala, just finished last night in New York City. The fashion elite made their annual showing at this event hosted by Vogue Magazine’s editor-in-chief, Anna Wintour. The theme of the 2014 Met Gala was a tribute to Charles James. Charles James was a British born fashion designer who revolutionized American fashion in the mid-20th century. He is popularly known as “America’s First Couturier”. Harold Koda, the curator for the Costume Institute explains,”…he championed strapless in the Thirties; invented the figure-eight skirt, the puffer jacket and the Pavlovian waistband that expands after a meal, and was an early proponent of licensing”.
Earlier during the day of the fashion gala, Anna Wintour was honored in the Temple of Dendur at the Met at a dedication ceremony for the Costume Institute’s newly renamed Anna Wintour Costume Center. The big celebrities, however, came out in full force later at night for the red carpet. NY fashion photographers raced to the front of the velvet ropes to get the photos of the A-List Fashionistas. So, who were the best dressed for the Met Gala 2014? Read our fashion photography team’s list of the top 5 looks for the Met Gala 2014.
1. Karen Elson wearing Zac Posen– It’s not hard to make a fashion model look fabulous, but Zac Posen does it exceptionally well. The ex-wife of rocker, Jack White, has always had an interesting sense of style and the softness and vintage elegance of her pink frock made her the belle of the ball.
2. Dita Von Teese wearing Zac Posen– The queen of vintage glamour has often teamed up with New York fashion designer, Zac Posen, but this look nailed the theme honoring Charles James. The mermaid shape of the dress with its scarlet accents was perfect for the event!
3. Karolina Kurkova wearing Marchesa– The Czech model has made a name for herself at the Met gala events for her outstanding style and this year was no exception. Her structural dress was extraordinary elegant and featured a tiered construction and a painted white floral design.
4. Nicole Ritchie in Donna Karan Atelier– The ex-Simple Life star has become a fashion icon due to her impeccable taste and risk taking. Her look at last year’s 2013 Punk Met Gala was loved by many including, Singer, Rihanna. She dyed her hair again for the fashion charity event, this time a subtle violet, and wore a hand dyed sage backless dress featuring graphic devore velvet gown with tiny asymmetrical straps that criss-cross around the back.
5. Gisele Bündchen wearing Balenciaga- The Brazilian Victoria Secret model is often on the best dressed list and it’s plain to see why. Gisele knows how to dress for her body and always tailors her gowns to fit like a glove. This black webbed designed dress is elegant and visually interesting. She is one of the best dressed for the Met Gala Charity Event 2014 and yet, she almost looks the most casual.
The fashion charity event benefits the Costume Institute for the Metropolitan Museum in New York City. Tickets cost $25,000, a steep increase from last year’s price of $10,000. Le Image Inc’s fashion team has always loved the Met Gala because in the words of actress, Zoe Saldana, “…The Met Gala is that one event where you can be artistic as you want when it comes to fashion….you don’t have to worry about hit-or-miss, you just enjoy the artistry of the fashion.”. We couldn’t agree more and we can’t wait till the 2015 Met Gala!